Sunday, February 8, 2009

Weaving Sampler Finished

My first weaving is 24" long and 10" wide. Once I finish the fringe I'll wash it and see how much shrinkage I have. Although I don't know exactly what fibre content and size the warp was I am hoping to develop good habits. At least in this one small portion of my life maybe I can be disciplined!
My teacher is pleasantly surprised at my weaving; I didn't expect that. Made me happy:)

Taking off a couple of weeks while I gather the yarn and other supplies I need. I will get 8/2 cotton; bleached white for the warp and a couple of colors for stripes and commence to learning to calculate and measure the warp for my many dishtowels I plan to make for practice. I am getting unmercerized cotton from Halcyon. They had a nice color chart and the shipping was within reason. Have I mentioned I have a thing about shipping costs??? Ha, don't we all? Well, I've run into quite a few that don't but more do than don't...

My list:

yarn for warp: 1 cone

yarn for weft: 2 small cones

weight for loom apron

thing to hang over the door to put my warping board on



The dragonfly teapot is drying nicely, no one has broken it yet. That's the disadvantage of working in a space with so many other people! Things get broken, lost, stolen, all that. The advantages are there too though and most of the time the advantages outweigh the dis...



2 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

Of course your weaving teacher is proud of your weaving!! (Not that all teachers are all the time - but your weaving looks beautiful!!)

That's exciting that you're placing your first yarn order! I'm exactly the same way about shipping charges!!

I love the teapot with the dragonfly - great stuff!!!

Sue

Gwen said...

Having only just finished my first sampler, I'm not sure I'm qualified to say much, but it looks beautiful to me! In particular, the middle section in the photo looks very evenly tensioned - something I'm still working on... And I'm impressed by your selvedges too! How exciting! :)